Nearly half of the oversee travelers suffer from some minor travel related illness. What to do when you are there? Simply look for a medical center or you can also avail hotel medical services. Most of the times it is a minor illness but the possibility of some serious infectious disease can’t be ignored. So be aware and take necessary preventive measures while traveling.
Preparing For a Safe and Healthy Journey
- Do not travel without a medical check-up.
- Consider essential vaccination and immunisations.
- Buy travel insurance
- List some medical center at your destination.
- Visit a dentist
- Go for a vision checkup
Essential Travel Vaccination
Many countries have made it mandatory for travelers to produce some document to prove that travelers have had some vaccinations. These vaccinations and medications provide protection against hepatitis, malaria, typhoid and several other diseases. You are required to have some vaccinations several weeks before traveling and some vaccinations several months before traveling. So, see a doctor around eight weeks before traveling. Even when you are traveling at short notice, you have to see a doctor. Your personal doctor will give you the best advice. The advice depends on your age, gender, current health and health history, destination, accommodation, length of stay, season and type of travel.
Some Tips for Senior Travelers
The risk of serious illnesses while traveling is very high when it comes to senior travelers. They should consider:
- visiting a doctor for check-up
- visiting optometrist and dentist
- packing an extra pair of glasses and medications
- buying travel insurance
- up-to-date immunisations and vaccination for pneumonia and influenza
- back and joints health while packing stuff
- taking clothes suitable for climate
Some tips for disabled travelers
If you happen to be a disabled traveler, make sure that your all needs will be accommodated. Here are some tips for you:
- Make sure that your seating, guide dogs and wheelchairs are taken care of.
- Ensure that medical facilities you need are available.
- Get a medical document detailing your medical conditions and requirements.
- Don’t forget to have a medical alert bracelet.
What To Eat And Drink While Travelling?
Gastrointestinal diseases are pretty common as you usually drink impure and untreated water and eat poorly cooked food. Here is what you should do to avoid nausea, vomiting, stomach pains and other diseases:
- Drink bottled or boiled water.
- Don’t use ice in drinks.
- Don’t eat unpasteurized dairy products.
- Don’t eat vegetables and fruits washed using local water.
- Eat bananas, oranges and other fruits that you can peel.
- Eat thoroughly cooked food.
- Don’t eat shellfish.
- Say no to street food.
- Don’t ignore personal hygiene.
Insect bites are responsible for yellow fever, malaria, dengue fever and some other diseases.
- Use insect repellent.
- Avoid going out at night.
- Wear long-sleeve shirts, socks and long pants.
- Carry a bed net.
STIs and traveling
Many travelers look for adult entertainment when they are on vacation. However, safety always comes first.
Kuldeep Singh is a poet, lyricist, performer, a public speaker and a professional content writer from Chandigarh, the city Beautiful. Apart from writing, he also has a keen interest in programming, especially in Java. He uses Twitter & Facebook on very rare occasions.